Even though I’ve gotten much better at applying the live now, worry later approach lately, this weekend I’ve been struggling to remind myself over and over again to just chill.
What am I worrying about today?
- that I ate too much last night when I got home and threw together a bowl of yogurt with chocolate chips and cookies (okay a bowl of chocolate chips and cookies with yogurt)
- that I am going to get rehurt (I ran two days back to back)
- that I eat too much junk and shouldn’t drink beers with my friends because I’m too big
- that I’m going to fail my test on Monday
- that I’m going to bomb my presentation on Wednesday
- that I’m not going to be able to work the program we have to use for our project due on Friday
- that I’m not going to be able to get sources for my latest freelancing article
- I didn’t eat “too much”. I might have emotionally eaten, but I didn’t binge. And that’s a win. Full and miserable are two different things. Solution: next time go for fro yo with friends, it will be more fun!
- I could get hurt doing anything, not just running. I could be doing everything perfectly and fall off my bike, get into a random accident, or trip over something in my apartment. Not running back to back days for months might have been necessary but the intense “should I? shouldn’t I?” drama I felt today is totally uncalled for. And when I went for the run, which took me to the playground where I did a workout with the monkey bars to help me, it was friggin perfection. I probably ran about 40 minutes/4 miles-ish (some on trails, some on road) around the workout in the sun!
- I don’t eat too much junk. Exhibit A (lots of not junk):
…and I am not too big. And even if I was big, I would still deserve beers with my friends.
- I am not going to bomb this week’s school stuff. And if I do, maybe it’s a signal that it’s not meant to be? I haven’t gotten many bad marks, I don’t need to study my life away, and I am on top of things. That’s what I need to remind myself. Also that sleep is optional and caffeine is a wonder drug, in a deadline pinch.
- Stories come together. I can call 1209102910291 numbers until I find sources to help me with my freelance article. I’m not incompetent and I’ve written much harder stories in the past. And the deadline is over 10 days away!
And so there. Worry IS a waste. The way to deal with it is to be proactive and to start working on things you can. So I worked on my presentation today. I also was productive and finally put my laundry AWAY! And I went to yoga this evening. Can you say win?
And now since it’s Saturday and I’m young and wild and free, I’m going to go sit on a patio and have a beer.
Enjoy the evening!
How do you deal with your worries?
What are you doing this weekend?